To celebrate the 80th anniversary of the beloved film, the Kansas City Starlight Theatre is casting for its summer 2019 musical production of The Wizard of Oz. Tap your heels together three times and say, “There’s no audition like this!”
Monday, February 11, 2019
10:00 am – 6:00 pm (EST)
Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019
10:00 am – 6:00 pm (EST)
Pearl Studios NYC (500)
500 8th Ave
New York, NY 10018-6504
CHECK-IN ROOM 306, AUDITION ROOM 305
- Bring headshot and resume
- Dancers should wear jazz/character shoes
- Prepare a brief Broadway Song that best demonstrates your vocal abilities. (Bring sheet music in your key. The accompanist will not transpose.)
- Dorothy Gale: Female, mid-adolescent 13/14, with a warm belt voice. She’s a mid-western farm girl, raised by her aunt and uncle; the story is her ‘coming of age’ parable to learn life’s values. Star talent will be considered. Role involves flying and aerial choreography.
- Miss Gulch/The Wicked Witch: Female, 40s-plus. Seeking a strong character actress, who can effect malevolence tinged with humor. MISS GULCH is a snarly, prim spinster school teacher; the WICKED WITCH is a grand cackling insidious witch. While this is principally an acting role, adjustment may be made to involve singing and/or dancing, if warranted for the performer cast. Note that this is a physical role, involving aerial/flying. Star talent will also be considered.
- Aunt Em/Glinda: Female, 40s; Seeking versatile attractive singing actress, with good soprano voice. AUNT EM is a plain Kansas farm woman; GLINDA, the Good Witch of the North, is beautiful, sweet and benevolent (and slightly grand). Role involves aerial/flying.
- Professor Marvel/Wizard of Oz: Male, age 50s-plus. Seeking character actor with warmth, style and versatility, plus a sense of comic humor. PROF. MARVEL is a slightly worn-out carnival showman; a good kind man (not seedy), he still has some style; the WIZARD OF OZ is somewhat similar, grander and at the same time more naïve, feigning stern omnipotence to cover up his true natural mild vulnerability; he is wise and caring, nevertheless. Star talent will also be considered.
- Uncle Henry/Guard/Winkie Captain: Male, age 40s-plus. Seeking character actor with a strong singing voice. UNCLE HENRY is a weathered Kansas farmer; the GUARD/WINKIE CAPTAIN somewhat stoic. Prefer a somewhat lean look; tall height (6’) advantageous.
- Hunk/Scarecrow: Male, age 30-plus; Seeking limber character dancer with good singing voice. HUNK is a slightly goofy farmhand; SCARECROW is well-intended, somewhat child-like in that he only sees what’s immediately in front of him, in that moment.
- Hickory/Tin Woodman: Male, age 30-plus. Seeking character dancer with a warm singing voice. HICKORY is the reliable unquestioning farmhand; TIN WOODMAN is stalwart, straightforward, and conservative.
- Zeke/Cowardly Lion: Male, age 30s-plus. Seeking character actor/singer, with comic flair. ZEKE the farmhand is a goof-off, can be a clown; COWARDLY LION is a grand blustering show-off who is really timid underneath; this is a ‘costumed’ (lion suit) character.
To learn more about this audition and get details about ensemble and teen roles, click here.